Pet Holiday Safety

Many pets may face additional threats during the holidays. Celebrate the holidays sensibly and have fun! Here are some things to watch out for during this holiday season with your pet.


Tinsel is a choking risk and can perforate or block the bowel. Additionally, it has the potential to encircle body regions and block off circulation. When glass decorations break, they can lacerate feet or, if eaten, cause intestinal hemorrhage. Chewing on electrical cords might result in shock or electrocution. Put a fence around the Christmas tree to prevent pets from getting to it, or place the tree in a room where pets cannot access it. Use ornaments made of plastic rather than tinsel. Ensure that all cords are fastened. Spray cords with bitter-tasting cleaners.


If a pet knocks a candle over, it poses a burning risk for animals and could cause a home fire. Keep all candles away from dogs and cats, and in places where animals cannot access them.


It is important to precautions with your pet holiday treats.

Theobromine is a chemical found in chocolate, especially dark chocolate, used in baking. Theobromine induces convulsions, cardiac rhythms, diarrhea, and vomiting. toxic to birds, dogs, and cats. Because of the fermentation that occurs in the stomach, bread dough made with yeast can cause bloating and alcohol toxicity. Seizures, low blood sugar, vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and death are possible outcomes. All baking supplies should be stored out of reach of animals. 

Package Wrappings

Ribbons and strings, in particular, draw the attention of cats. These will make excellent chew toys for some dogs as well. If you have pets who find gifts irresistible, be cautious when wrapping them. Ribbons can perforate or block the gut.

Events and Crowds

Many animals experience anxiety or trepidation when visitors arrive. When there are too many strangers around, they could become agitated or act out. Consider letting your pet stay with a friend or even boarding them for the day or night if you are hosting a big gathering and you think they might find it stressful. A door that opens and closes as visitors enter and exit could cause a startled animal to flee. Make sure your animals are ID-tagged and microchipped.

Holiday Feasts

While it’s not necessarily terrible to let your pets eat table food, going overboard can be devastating. High-fat trimmings and gravies can cause nausea, constipation, and pancreatitis, which can be fatal.

Use these suggestions to make your pets’ Christmas the best one ever!

Contact your veterinarian if you think your pet may be experiencing any of the above issues with pet holiday safety.

Accessibility Toolbar